1. I was a late arrival at the Brennan Manning party. As I was reminded last night, when asked about him a decade ago I quickly dispatched him as a heretic. I hadn’t actually read him, save for the out of context excerpts provided by those who wanted me to join with them in their joyous condemnation of someone outside their box. To my shame, I did. Being in the box was more important to me than being honest enough to read and think for myself. Never again…
2. Mannings autobiography “All of Grace” should be the standard we hold all other “Christian” biographies to. He told the whole truth about Himself and because he did, we were able to see the whole truth about the God who saved him.
3. If you actually read that book you will understand that Manning is painfully honest about what his “sin” and “licence” cost him…but that would take all the fun out of throwing rocks at his grave.
4. After reading the responses to all of the well publicized deaths in the greater Christian community I can truthfully say that the spiritually sickest people in the church are the ODM’s and their followers.
5. I taught on 1 Cor 13 last night…“And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.”(1 Corinthians 13:2 ESV). So…even if your doctrine is the most correct doctrine since the Ascension, if you don’t practice it in love you are nothing. Nothing.
6. You can’t hide your hard heart behind “I hate what God hates” when you are speaking against someone else in the body of Christ.
7. The minute you write the word “Illuminati” in a post or a comment I know that you’re an idiot. You may well be beloved of God, but you’re still an idiot.
8. Just when I got caught up with “Words With Friends,” along came “Phrases With Friends”. I may need to have my iPhone surgically removed…
9. This story is more than I can handle…
10. The whole church will be healthier when we realize that all of our leaders are as sinful and broken as Brennan Manning admitted he was…and we are too. That’s the first part…the second part is realizing that it’s biblical to love them and each other anyway.