Jesus Foretells His Death and Resurrection
21 From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.
- Again, Jesus is in charge – no one is dragging him to Jerusalem.
- How much more clear could Jesus make it? I will be killed and I will be
22 And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.”
- Look at the difference between Jesus’ “this must” and Peter’s “this will never”
- You cannot get anymore obstinate than this.
- So, what does Peter do? The one who a few verses up said all the right things.
- Peter’s response is equal to something like, “look Jesus, you just gave me the keys, you just gave me the church to build – Jesus I am going to make my proclamation —
- Jesus, stand back, this shall never happen – this is no way to build a church.
- This is no way for you to be the Christ – let me handle this.”
23 But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
- Jesus then turns around and gives HIS proclamation – “Get behind me Satan.”
- Who is Satan? Who is Satan using as his tool? Peter – an Apostle in training.
- We learn from this verse about anti Christ.
- Jesus shows up on the scene and Satan sets up shop – and shortly we see a disciple oppose Jesus.
- In the apostolic ministry – in the apostolic church – anti Christ is at work.
- This fits in with 1 Thess 2
- Where the anti Christ sets himself up in the temple of God (the church), claiming to be a divinity himself –
- This is precisely what Peter is doing – he sets himself up in the driver’s seat as if he is God and says, “I am going to call the shots here!”
- This is anti Christ working in the church.
- We all need to get over the Left Behind lie that the anti Christ is a political / economic figure.
- The anti Christ comes from within the church 2 Thess & 1 John
- So how do you recognize anti Christ within the church? If you find someone out front trying to lead Jesus, this is a good indicator.
- Those who would try to correct and guide Jesus in what this person thinks is a better way.
- A pious preacher in the pulpit teaching anything other than you are saved by God’s grace alone through faith alone for Christ’s sake alone – this is anti Christ.
- Jesus says faith alone saves you and this one comes alongside Jesus (just like Peter) puts his arm around him and says “yes it is necessary, but it is not enough. Let me tweak your word a little to improve it.”
- This is my body, this is my blood – words right out of the mouth of Jesus and the preachers says, “well this is just symbolism”
- All of this and you have anti Christ going on.
Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
- Right after Jesus chastises Peter … You want to follow me? Take up your cross.
- What does this mean? We don’t have too many crucifixions going on today, so how do we take up our cross?
- Here we have the first passion prediction – God’s plan in Jesus is put out in the open.
25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- We do just the opposite – we do whatever we can to not lose our life.
- To follow Jesus means to deny yourself.
- In many church groups to follow Jesus is to fulfill yourself – Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar – Benny Hinn.
- It’s about reaching potentiality of self and stuff.
- In the old days of Norman Vincent Peale – The Power of Positive Thinking
- Then Robert Schuller said in his book The New Reformation “the problem with you Lutherans (all the reformers) you think there is sin and / or you talk about sin. That time is over and we need to move on – we need to teach people they are good.”
26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
- Use the example of the rope
- 50 feet of rope – first 6” on the front end painted red
- The 50’ of rope represents eternity and the red 6” represents our life span
- We put all our energy and worry into the small 6” and don’t give a thought to the remainder of the rope.
- What will it profit a man if he gains the whole 6” and forfeits the other 49.5’?
27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
- Salvation by WORKS!!! Didn’t we just say that adding anything to faith alone was anti Christ? What is Jesus saying?
- So here is the kicker – this is a true statement – What are the works that are God pleasing? –Those that flow from faith – and what kind of faith?
- The faith alone that justifies a sinner before God.
- The works are our evidence of the faith that is not seen – I cannot see your faith – I can only see the evidence of that faith.
- I cannot see the wind – I can see only the evidence that there was wind.
28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
- Calvary & Last Days? Suffering, death and resurrection which he just spoke of in v 21.
- Jeffrey Gibbs in his commentary states “is a genuinely difficult saying, and confident conclusions about what Jesus was referring to may elude us.”
- So I will leave it there also.