How to relieve Christmas anxiety...other than a rum IV
1. If you haven’t been paying attention, one of the biggest grass roots social media campaigns ever in the church is forming to help free pastor Saeed Abedini. Over 12,000 people have already marked out Dec 4th to participate. We need you…every person matters, every voice strengthens the choir. Sign up over on Facebook or Google +, then watch these spaces tomorrow for our Wednesday schedule.
2. The real issue involved with the Mark Driscoll plagiarism charges isn’t simply his proven sin in copying material without attribution. The real issue is the failure to acknowledge the sin and publicly repent. When the public faces of the faith refuse to lead by holding to the ethical standards they proclaim, they should at least lead in demonstrating how to repent when they fail to do so.
3. Talking about what a great Christian Paul Crouch was is like me talking about how smart my cat is…depends on what you’re comparing both with. Nobody in history spread more heresy farther or stole more money from the most vulnerable in the Body of Christ than Crouch and his wife.
4. My bathroom is full of cleaners of every sort for both my body and my home…we must be the cleanest generation in history. The great defilement as always, is internal and we may be the most defiled generation in history as well. A few years ago most of my requests for marriage counseling were related to money, today, it’s mostly about porn.
5. Don’t wait for a leader to to solicit your participation in matters of Christian conscience…be a leader among your own circle of influence and help others make a difference.
6. “He not busy being born is busy dying.” Truest thing Dylan ever wrote…
7. When leaders in the church can have their sin covered without repentance and without consequences they teach their people to expect the same privileges…
8. One of the gifts I give my son is failing in front of him, admitting the failure, and asking forgiveness. If I’m not afraid, he won’t be either.
9. I’m finally at a point in life where I feel worse about bringing shame to the name of Christ than embarrassing myself…the older I get, the more He matters.
10. I wish you all could see the incredible work being done by folks just like you all over the country to #freesaeed…it’s both humbling and inspiring. Join us…you matter.
We have known since the day of our birth that our primal task is to grow to basic trust in you,
to rely on you in every circumstance,
to know that you would return when you are away,
to trust that in your absence you will soon be present,
to be assured that your silence bespeaks attentiveness and not neglect,
to know that in your abiding faithfulness, “all will be well and all will be well.”
We do trust in you: we are named by your name, and bonded in your service.
We are among those who sing your praise and who know of your deep faithfulness.
You, you, however, are not easy to trust:
We pray against a closed sky;
our hopes reduced to auto-suggestion;
our petitions are more habit than hope;
our intercessions are kindly gestures of well-being.
Sometimes more, many times not, because your silence and absence, your indifference and tardiness are glaring among us.
We are drawn to find lesser gods,
many forms of self-trust … that do not even fool us.
We pray for new measures of passion, for fresh waves of resolve, for courage, energy, and freedom, to be our true selves … waiting in confidence, and while waiting, acting our life toward you in your ways of forgiving generosity.
We pray in the name of Jesus who trusted fully, and who is himself fully worthy of our trust. Amen.
Walter Brueggemann. Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth: The Prayers of Walter Brueggemann (p. 48). Kindle Edition.
It’s all yours today…except for the time you take to help promote #freesaeed.
If you haven’t joined the Facebook page yet, please do so and let us know you’ll participate in the social media blitz Dec 4th.
Black Friday is in the books…did you participate?
Have any war stories?
What did you buy?
No, not that finger…at least for the purposes of this article.
This morning I speak of the finger you use to point…and I’m trying to point to people who are doing wonderful things, creating wonderful things, and saying wonderful things.
Whether you’re raising a child or a pet you know the power of positive reinforcement.
As a grown dog at 55, I can tell you that we never outgrow the need for positive recognition and encouragement.
Much of what we see here and on the rest of the internet are people pointing out folks who do the opposite…and if we are going to be a people who point to Jesus, then we must achieve some balance.
Here on the blog we’ll try to point to good writing, good projects, and the good in the Body of Christ with the same enthusiasm that we point out that which is not so good.
If you see something good point it out to me and I’ll point to it too…and maybe all that pointing will encourage more good things to point to.
This morning we’re quickly moving toward 5000 people who have committed to participate on Dec 4th.
We’re just getting started.
If you haven’t joined the Facebook page do so….then invite all your friends to do the same.
Post the photo and link on your own Facebook page, Google+ page, or blog.
Hundreds of people have changed their Facebook profile pictures…lets put this orange banner everywhere!
The Twitter hashtag is #freesaeed…wear it out!
My friend Phil Naessens interviewed me last night about the campaign and you can listen to that show here.
Friday, Janet Mefferd lent her name to the cause and she will be encouraging people to join us on her national radio program.
The wave is forming… get on!
Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me “to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness”:
Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the Beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplication to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our national government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, AD 1789″
In online “must reads” today;