The following is a list of “spiritual disciplines” from the Renovare website.
Do you practice any?
If not… why?
If so…to what benefit?
Are there any you would like to pursue?
- Meditation: The ability to hear God’s voice and obey his word.
- Prayer: The interactive conversation with God about what we are doing together.
- Fasting: The voluntary denial of an otherwise normal function for the sake of intense spiritual activity.
- Study: The mind taking on an order conforming to the order of whatever we concentrate upon.
- Simplicity: An inward reality that results in an outward life style.
- Solitude: An open relational space for being found by God and freed from competing loyalties.
- Submission: The discipline which frees us to let go of the burden of always needing to get our own way.
- Service: The many little deaths of going beyond ourselves which produces in us the virtue of humility.
- Confession: Experiencing the grace and mercy of God for healing the sins and sorrows of the past.
- Worship: Entering into the supra-natural experience of the Shekanyah, or glory, of God.
- Guidance: Knowing in daily life an interactive friendship with God.
- Celebration: A life of “walking and leaping and praising God” (Acts 3:8).