Jesus Heals a Boy with a Demon
14 And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him,
- They came down the mount to the reality of life.
- A grumbling crowd and the disciples fighting with the religious leaders.
- * Note the posture of the man. Respect!
15 said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water.
- Other translations – seizures – lunacy
16 And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him.”
- Was this just the remaining 9 disciples who did not go up the mountain?
- They did not have that ‘mountain top’ experience and failed?
17 And Jesus answered, “O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me.”
- Who is Jesus addressing?
- The crowd? This man? The disciples? All of them?
- Are these ‘little faith’ disciples?
18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly.
- Jesus rebukes his people, then turns and rebukes the demon who left ‘instantly’
- Sounds much like the gospel of Mark who wrote in terms of things happening ‘immediately’.
19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”
- Now they come privately
- What did we do wrong?
20 He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”
- Jesus can move mountains – nothing is impossible for God.
- He seems to be giving that power / authority to those who do have faith.
No verse 21 – explain
*** NKJV = However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”
Jesus Again Foretells Death, Resurrection
22 As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men,
- Jesus gathers them together again to deliver another sermon.
- Son of Man is that Daniel 7 talk
- The divine son of man – this is the divine, the messiah who will rule and has a kingdom that will last forever.
- If you were a Jew in Jesus’ day and you know this Daniel prophecy – you are making this association – they are thinking great things
- ) overthrowing the Romans
- ) They think of Jesus as some great community organizer – messiah, where he will transform not only society but the whole world and make it into a Utopia.
23 and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.” And they were greatly distressed.
- What??? They will do what?
- Note that this time they were distressed, but they did not speak out as Peter had in Ch 16
- They were distressed because that is not supposed to be the end of one who has a kingdom that will last forever.
The Temple Tax
24 When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the tax?”
- Temple Tax collection = all Israel males 20 yrs older had an obligation to pay the tax.
- This is not a Roman tax.
- The Jewish leaders say “if you are going to be Israel, you must pay this tax” – but…
- Jesus says “if you are going to be Israel, you must believe in me.”
25 He said, “Yes.” And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tax? From their sons or from others?”
26 And when he said, “From others,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free.
- This again is Jesus set aside for himself a new Israel.
- The sons of the king are free
- Jesus, not the Jewish leaders, is king and Christians are the sons.
- The New Israel.
- You are sons, you are the New Israel – you are free from the old system, free from them because I am here.
- I am the temple, I am the sacrifice, I am the high priest …. For salvation!
27 However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself.”
- This reality is the Mt Transfiguration thing – but not on the mount but down by the sea.
- Not to give offense – because Good Friday has not yet happened.