The Weekend Word
The Report of the Guard
11 While they were going, behold, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had taken place.
- “While they were going…” v.8 “so they departed” – The Christian is always to be going – and as it shows in v. 9 Jesus will meet us along the way.
- “Some of the guard” – who drew the short straw to have to go deliver the bad news? How would you like to be that guy?
12 And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sufficient sum of money to the soldiers
- What does scripture say about the love of money?
13 and said, “Tell people, ‘His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.’
- Is this not a tragedy? – they cannot accept the truth and will both deny and cover it up.
- From an apologetics point, this does prove that the tomb was empty.
- Think a
bout this – they are asking the guards to take responsibility for what could be a capital crime. Compare this to the Philippian jailer who was ready to kill himself when he thought that the Apostle Paul had escaped his prison.
- But it is funny that they must come in and confess that even though their job was to guard a dead body the lost him.
14 And if this comes to the governor’s ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.”
- What is going to be told to the governor? That the guards were paid off or they were incompetent?
15 So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.
- “And this story…” Which story? The Resurrection story? No, the “someone stole the body” story.
- To which day = this day? The day Matthew is teaching – 33 to 67AD – for 34 yrs this story was going around – well it is still going around.
The Great Commission
16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.
- Now the 11 = Judas was already gone.
- Galilee is in the north – the crucifixion took place in the south. They had to believe the women and travel. They went by the direction and the testimony of women.
17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.
- Is the “they” in 17 referring only to the 11 of v 16 – or is “they” comprised of more? Did the women go?
- How did they worship him? Compare to your puppy who comes and sits at your side, licks your hand – just because he knows that you love and provide for him. Even down to the ball he plays with.
- “Some” = more than just Thomas.
- At this point, what is there to doubt? This is why we are commanded not to forsake the assembly of ourselves together. We have all doubted at times, but we help each other overcome that doubt as God speaks and works through the church.
- Not going to church is dangerous.
18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
- How much is ALL authority?
- Heaven and earth = All everywhere.
- Jesus is the mighty king, our risen savior – victorious – crucified – and risen Lord gives us the great commission.
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
- Go therefore – as you are going – along the way, to the post office, to the market, at your job etc – be making disciples.
- A participle vs an imperative.
- What is a disciple other than a Christian? How do you make Christians? Through both water baptism and teaching.
- I have heard people try to make the distinction that you are first a believer and then you develop to a disciple. I don’t see how this is possible – it is usually brought up to get around the claim that Jesus is teaching baptismal regeneration… which he is.
- This is also the institution of Christian baptism – and… the answer to “what about the thief on the cross?” He died before Jesus instituted Christian baptism.
- Note that baptism is in the name of the trinity.
- Important here is Jesus’ recognition of the trinity.
20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- What is ‘all that I have commanded’? Simply, be a Christian.