Lay Up Treasures in Heaven – OK, now it gets a little tricky … he’s talking about my stuff and I don’t know if I like it.
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,
- Have you ever gone to the dump or a junk yard?
- Do you realize that everything there people lusted after – people just had to have the latest model and now it is junk.
- We could all probably look in our garage or storage area at the ‘now’ junk we have accumulated.
20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
- So what is the difference between treasures on earth or in heaven?
- This is a goofy example, but… If you were stuck on a desert island that was doomed to destruction – a volcano about to erupt in the next month, would you; Work on your hut or work on your boat?
- Think of Gilligan’s Island – they worked on their hut – they invented everything that made the island comfortable and workable – but they never worked on the boat.
- The professor could invent anything EXCEPT something to fix the boat.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Where is your heart – today?
- What does God want from you? Look at the 1st 3 commandments
- ) Your heart – 2.) Your mouth – 3.) Your ears
- Compare this to Romans where Paul explains what the unbelievers do.
- They take a piece of God’s creation and make IT an object of worship.
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light,
- A question arises here – which way does the lamp shine?
- Is the eye “the body’s lamp” in the sense that it shines light into the body or…
- Is does it shine outward – and where the lamp shines, directs the body where to go?
- I will go with the 2nd – that the body’s lamp is the eye.
- Perhaps at the times this was a well known proverb.
23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
- Perhaps it can be summed up as;
- If your eye is healthy & generous, that is because your whole body is full of light and is spiritually sound.
- However, if your eye is diseased and greedy, that is because your whole body is full of darkness and is spiritually unsound.
24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
- “You cannot serve God and money.” – Darn!
- Look, here is the deal – where is your heart? Are you into people & things?
- Do I need to give up all to the poor to show how much I love God?
- NO!! God gave you all that you have…
- But what you do with it shows where your heart is.
Do Not Be Anxious
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
- “Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? “ Is it???
- Don’t Worry – Be Happy – easier said than done
- Who here is saying “yes God – easy for you to say.”Here the disciple is led to repentance and faith in the Sermon on the Mount.
- Fear, love and trust God – Learn to trust in him alone.
- He taught us to pray for our daily bread – so don’t be a hoarder and be curved in on yourself.
26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
- God is not saying that you won’t have problems – sickness – homelessness
- But he is promising care
- Even if I forget to fill the bird feeder, they still eat.
- Have you ever seen a bird with pockets?
- Have you ever seen a bird plant & harvest?
27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
- Above this phrase is “Lay up your treasures in heaven – seek the right master”
- After this comes “seek”
28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,
- The lilies of the field don’t go to Sears and buy a sewing machine
29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
- Think of everything that man can gather for himself – none of it carries the beauty or sufficiency that God provides.
30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
- What does worry and anxiety say about our faith?
31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
- Aren’t these the 3 big worry generators in our life? Or were when we were younger?
32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
- Unbelievers and believers alike still look for the same types of material and temporal things.
- And God knows what we need and want.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Seek what first? What will be the result?
- How is this done – in a practical manner?
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
- 25-34 go completely against our grain. (at least mine)
- We put our trust in things, savings accounts, 401Ks etc
- Sometimes we get ourselves so anxious that it can become “oh look at me and all the things I need to be anxious about.”