Things I Think
1. I think in all my years of ministry I’ve never seen so many struggling in so many ways. In addition to the economic and physical issues people are struggling with, the political and cultural divides are keeping people in a state of anger, despair, and confusion. We’ve never needed holy, biblical, pastoral leadership like we need it today…leadership that rises above sectarian and political matters to show the kingdom of God and it’s King at work in the lives of the people we’ve been entrusted to care for. We have been called to minister through a providentially difficult season in history and we have to step up to the challenge.
2. My hope is in God and not in any temporal leader. My job as a pastor is to give people reasons to hope with me…not reasons to be angry with temporal leaders or cultural trends.
3. I know a lot of people in need of direct divine intervention on what we would call a miraculous level. The question I always face when praying about these things is “do I really believe in that sort of divine intervention”?
4. After I recover from my operations I’m going to apply to be an NFL official. I couldn’t be any worse than what they’ve got now.
5. What we need in this country today on a secular level is a true news agency that isn’t beholden to any political position. You can’t have a true democracy without a true press. I’m convinced that none of us really know the truth about the issues that divide us, making it even more important that we cling to the truth we’ve been given in the Word.
6. God is for you, my friend… even in the most difficult of circumstances.
7. Build your faith in the light so you’ll be able to find it in the dark.
8. I haven’t read much new stuff lately…in times of trial I tend to fall back on those writings that formed the foundation of my faith. For me, that would be the writings of Packer and Calvin and Brown that taught me unshakable biblical truth. How about you?
9. I’ve said it before…the doctrine of the sovereignty of God in providence is the pillow I lay my head on. This is His world and all things come through His hand.