1. We were all blown away last week by the crass narcissism of a “pastor” who would indoctrinate children to see him as the center of the church. We rail against the ethical abuses and corruption we see all around us in the church and we wonder why someone won’t deal with these rogue leaders…when both the blame and the cure for such is clearly seen in the mirror.
In this country, both church and state have the leadership they choose and only the people can choose to change leaders.
2. In the Scriptures, God calls both an individual and a “people”…a group of called individuals. What the church has forgotten is that we are both, and the deeply communal nature of the Christian faith has gone by the wayside. We care only about whether something “works” for us individually, instead of the whole community we are called to participate in and care for.
3. I feel very righteous every time we expose the failings of another wolf…and move one step closer to becoming what I despise.
4. “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.” (1 Peter 3:8–9 ESV) Unless of course, you’re online.
5. The person without a regular prayer life may be a professing Christian, but is a practical agnostic. This isn’t original with me, but I needed to tape it to my computer…
6. Sometimes…maybe most of the time…having child like faith in the midst of a crisis seems like nothing more than superstition and a foolish avoidance of reality. God is the Maker of reality…have child like faith anyway.
7. Job’s counselors multiplied like rabbits… they are a huge people group in the church.
8. I am a firm believer in the doctrine of providence that says God is continually working in all things to accomplish His purposes and that all things come from His hand. Therefore…if you find yourself in a difficult relationship, maybe a heartrending relationship, with a child or a spouse ( or anyone else) you were the person God specifically chose and equipped to demonstrate His love and His ways to the person. Make your own application…
9. It’s chic now to be a “recovering fundamentalist”. I’m happily still “infected”.
10. I wake up in a hot panic every morning over finances and sheer survival. My cat wakes up every morning in perfect peace, yawns, stretches, and waits, fully expecting the one who adopted and loves her to provide for her…and he does. Stupid cat…