1. It is the custom of the Iranian government to sometimes grant freedom to political prisoners on the occasion of the Iranian New Year. It is our fervent hope that this year such clemency will be granted to Saeed Abedini. We are going to accompany that hope with actions…we will be conducting a social media campaign again this Wednesday to raise awareness and ask the Iranian government to release Pastor Saeed. Each one of you reading is vital to this effort…your voice is amplified when you join with others for this cause. We ask you to join the “10,000 as 1” on the Free Saeed Facebook page and ask others to do likewise. There will be a list of activities for Wednesday up soon!
2. The current hot topic in progressive theological circles online is to fight against “patriarchy”…the assumption being that much of the abuse in churches is the result of a complementarian view of gender roles, which needs to be replaced by an “egalitarian” view of the same. While there is some truth to this and abuses need to be addressed, sin has no respect for gender. Women in authority are as prone to being abusive as men are. It may be enjoyable to be on the other end of the stick, but it won’t solve the problem. Accountability and consequences for sin regardless of gender solves the problem..
3. Fred Phelps of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church is near death. I fear for his soul far more than those of the people he hated. Fred made a career of striking the rock…
4.“And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.” (Mark 3:25 ESV)
5. Happy St. Patricks Day!
6. One of the unspoken lies of the celebrity preacher culture is that only about a dozen guys in the world can really preach.
7. It is spiritually impossible for someone to be your pastor who doesn’t even know your name.
8. If someone talked about your spouse the way we talk about the bride of Christ…
9. Yellow is Saeed Abedini’s favorite color. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn your part of the internet yellow this week…
10.“On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.”And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?”And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?””
Storm tossed friends, always remember one thing.
Jesus is in the boat with you.
Don’t panic until He does…
(Mark 4:35–41 ESV)