1. I think the church is more divided today than at any time since the 1920’s when the liberal mainline bodies separated from the fundamentalists. The division today is not theologically based, but political… and the divisions are as deep and hostile as as those from a hundred years ago. This is a defining point in the history of American evangelicalism that will be more easily seen in hindsight as the ramifications of the divide play out. Right now I see a large right wing contingent splitting from the left with a bunch of us in the middle fleeing the whole mess. I want to run away, but have no idea where to go…
2. The Billy Graham Association has removed Mormonism from its list of cults. This is blasphemy for the sake of political expediency…no different from mixing the worship of the Baals with the worship of Yahweh. Yes, that’s what I said and exactly what I mean.
3. Between the politics and eschatology and the frequent mixing of the two, I’d rather have a root canal than be on Facebook these days.
4. This is the most important election this country will ever have…this year.
5. Winter whispered over the hills last night in Southern Oregon. Winter depresses me with the reality of death, then speaks of coming resurrection…it’s a somber season of clinging to hope for me.
6. There have been bi-weekly prayers meeting here in my community to “pray for our nation”. There have been none, nor are any scheduled, to pray for the poor, homeless, sick, or the sojourner among us.
7. I was cleaning up some old email last night and came upon a thread where Rich Abanes and I were in a nasty theological dispute. In hindsight Rich, you were right and I was wrong…hope you’re doing well wherever you are now.
8. It’s an odd thing…the more I lose my identification with evangelicalism, the more I’m growing to love Jesus. The Sermon on the Mount has me transfixed in it’s power these days.
9. I thank God for the people He’s given me to pastor and teach…I receive far more than I give as we are learning to follow the Lord together.
10. Sarah has written a blog post this morning that I needed to read…and written it with the Holy Spirit holding her pen as usual.